Thursday, March 26, 2009

Smile + tee hee

Is it because I've been sick in bed for four days that now, stepping out into the sunlight and a world of strangers streaming through it, everything looks more alive than before?  The line of light surrounding every person seems to glimmer and wink at me as if to say, "Isn't it all just so lovely and terrible and grand?"  One man scowls at me as I look up from his gray-whiskered dog to his weathered face.  The man behind him, a bit more dapper, catches my face falling in response to the dog-walker and then I fear I've passed on the frown.  I only have a few paces to fret about this before a third man, this one in a tie, smiles at me the way a baby smiles at . . . well, almost anything it can hold in its pudgy hand.  Maybe it's just the coming of spring, but I want to pass on the smile and giggle at the frown, because it is, it really is:  it is all just so lovely and terrible and grand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment