Friday, April 24, 2009

If this isn't nice


Y'know, the word "nice" gets a bad rap from wordies. (Is that a word? like foodies? if it's not, it oughta be.) And yes, sometimes "nice" is a lie -- one of those words we use when the truth is we don't really have anything nice to say, but we feel the need to say SOMETHING. (Why is that?) But if we're really true to the meaning of the word, as wordies must be, then "nice" is a perfect word to use whenever something truly pleases or delights us.
I just finished This Blue Heaven's first live radio performance/interview on WERS and now am zooming through the sunshine under blue skies toward Portsmouth, NH where we're performing at The Muddy tonight. Tomorrow, we celebrate the GP's birthday in the most appropriate way I can think of for a guy who, as a boy, once had a dream that playing the electric guitar gave him super lightning-type powers: by performing our biggest show yet at Boston's Paradise Rock Club.
I know this sounds like a plug, and of course I want to reach as many of you as possible; I believe in what we do. I believe that what we have to offer -- what I can offer when I step onstage -- is an opportunity for people to forget for a moment the trivial, the draining, the monotonous, and remember their (your) own heartbeats.
But this blog is first and foremost a space for me to remember MY heartbeat. So I want to return to a charge made in my second post ever on this site, taken from Vonnegut's Timequake. I'm looking around me right this pleasing, delightful minute, and I have to say it.
If this isn't nice, what is?

0 comments:

Post a Comment