Friday, March 12, 2010

A hint about next week's blog theme!

Here's another poem for you!  Brand new, and a two-fold hint at what I've got up my sleeve for next week!

Till then, Happy Friday, friends!


Spring in Kentucky

I remember thinking that every shade of green 
had gathered at once - leaves on the dogwoods, 
stems on the lace growing wild in the ditch.  
I learned to harmonize on Russel Cave Road, 
clutching the passenger door round tight curves.
Singing gave the driver respite from shouting and 
I could hide inside the songs and watch 
the smear of hills and tobacco barns pass.
I often wished for escape on the white horse 
who faithfully waited alone by her fence.
Or to become the one creature on earth 
who could silence my belting companion:  
to slither away on a scaly green belly, safe
in the camouflage of endless bluegrass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment