Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Farewell banana chocolate smoothie with 2 espresso shots...

I've decided to give up Starbucks for lent.

No, I am not Catholic.  And I've never observed it before.  But there is something about a practice built so firmly into the changing of the seasons that really appeals to me.  I hope I won't offend anyone by borrowing lent.  (I'm going to meditate more, too!)

I've kind of had it with winter, in spite of my very best efforts to embrace what it offers me.  Other parts of this country are starting to thaw, people even have their jackets off - I can feel it on the edges of my consciousness, their reveling in the sun and in snowdrops starting to poke boldly out of the ground.  The smell of the ground warming up.

Here, I'm still making excellent use of my awesome, warm, waterproof Keens; but meanwhile I'm feeling stir-crazy and even a little stuck.  And my shivering muscles never seem to fully unclench.

So.  I'm starting a flavor-syrup-free journey today that ends on April 4th - a new season.  (I know.  It'll still be snowing in Boston.  But it will technically be spring.) Spring, a season of:

short sleeves
warm bicycle tires
tulips
baseball games
cherry blossoms
soft mud
lilacs
rain
earthworms
buds
skirts
picnics
magnolias
walks
bunnies
open windows
cleaning
robins
pale skies
e.e. cummings poems

and now - iced mochas!

Till then, I wish all my favorite baristas a good six and a half weeks!  (Honestly, Starbucks employees are the ONLY cheerful people in this town.  Especially on Ames St. in Cambridge and Arlington Center.  It's uncanny.)  I'll try to think of a good use for the bucks I'll be saving!

0 comments:

Post a Comment