Monday, June 14, 2010

Saturday Night Summer Lovefest at the Lizard Lounge :: The Doctors Fox

Okay, "Saturday Night Summer Lovefest" is not really the official or even unofficial title for the show This Blue Heaven is playing this Saturday, June 19th at the Lizard Lounge. (ADVANCE TIX HERE!) It's just my slick description of what this show will be for me - and what I hope you'll let it be for you, too!

As far as I can tell, my friend (& yours!) Brendan Boogie has put together the quintessential summer bill, so this week on the blog I'm going to take a break from my regularly scheduled introspective existential mood swings and turn my attention instead to spreading some love for this show.  I'll be highlighting each of the bands & my favorite of their songs - so please check back each day for new reasons to join us in music-love to summon summer temperatures back to New England this weekend!  (I gotta get to the beach on Sunday, kids!)  Also be sure to check out the Nate vs. Nate competition happening all week on Brendan's blog.

So! After a little listening & reading research, I am super excited to see (let alone share a bill with) The Doctors Fox!  They're fun, they're quirky, they're righteous, they're grammar-conscious... if they say "bless you" when I sneeze, they'll have successfully met all my life-mate requirements!


The Doctors Fox describe themselves as a metaphoric burrito of rock, jazz, bluegrass, klezmer, reggae, funk, bossa nova, and do-wop. We choose a burrito metaphor, as opposed to the more traditional "Melting-Pot", because unlike a melting pot, in which each ingredient melds together to make an indistinguishable new flavor, within the burrito, each flavor maintains its integrity, while also contributing to the collective flavor of each bite.  Mmmm... burrito.  And The Doctors Fox build it right, with the ingredients distributed in each bite, instead of stacked totem-pole style, 'cause there's nothing worse than sinking your teeth into a mouthful of sour cream.  Metaphorically speaking.  Um.

Anyways, The Doctors Fox's 2009 release Plural Non-Possessive boasts spicy, hip-shaking tunes with titles like "Autobiography of a Beached Whale" and "Fourth of July," so you KNOW it'll be a perfect summer addition to your iPod (just now got my new one in the mail! yay!) and a rousing component of Saturday night's show!  

As an avowed heliolater, my favorite from this collection has to be "Ode to Sun" (listen here, purchase here).  This is a five minute sun dance replete with rapscallious fiddle, sexy hand claps, groovy basslines, complex rhythms and even some bah-dah-bah vox that combine to coax the sun back to its rightful place in the sky.  I sure hope they play it on Saturday.  Did I mention I'm planning a beach day Sunday?


~
You can find The Doctors Fox on:
& everywhere music is sold online
~

0 comments:

Post a Comment