Friday, August 6, 2010

Countdown to Spinning & Shining: Jennifer D'Angora of The Downbeat 5

ONE!  ONE DAY LEFT!  


In sum:
Now usually, when a band releases a record, we say that it "drops." My friends, there is no "drop" to the record that is going to be released tomorrow night. This record isn't just going to be "released," it's going to be slingshotted. If you do not believe, then just listen to today's band of honor, This Blue Heaven. They'll be playing a super-special, super-powered record release tomorrow night, presented by your favorite blog. You must not miss this one.


On an evening jam-packed with unbelievable shows, this might be the best front-to-back bill out there! We’re not talking 6 sugar-sweet pop acts trilling their hearts out about pretty things and happy thoughts. We’re talking a diverse application of the 20 metric tons of talent across the 6 bands on the bill. Each band has their own style, each band utilizes their frontwomen to the best of their ability, and each band is fully prepared to rock-the-f*ck-out!


While a song like "Nova Love" is a straight-ahead rock & roller, "Slow Dance Slow" starts out with a shimmering, arena-space-rock riff before the chorus blows the windows open when singer MacKenzie Outlund's vocals rush in on a gust of ascending chords. "A Serious Mistake" is a bit of 3/4 rock-electro-waltz that sounds like it could've been lifted straight from a stumbling patron in an Irish pub. Don't know what that sounds like? Neither did we, until we listened to it. You'll just have to hear it for yourself.



Trust me.  You want to get your tickets now






And if all that isn't enough to get you there...  and if all that PLUS the amazing women I've been showing off so far this week STILL isn't enough to get you there... then Jennifer D'Angora and The Downbeat 5 really oughtta seal the deal.  If not you're just... just... silly.  So there.

Jen is just a rockstar.  No seriously.  You know how when you find out your favorite rockstar is using the same picks as you or wearing the same shoes as you or reading the same book as you, you get all giddy and (oddly) affirmed by it?  Well, when I saw her in Jenny Dee and the Delinquents for the first time and Jen had a Starbucks cup in her hand...that's how I felt.  She might as well have given me the matching half-heart of her Best Friends pendant for how elated I was.  Y'know?  Because this woman ROCKS.  Like, seriously.  (And she drinks Starbucks before shows JUST LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!) (So what if hers could've been filled with vodka? So what??)

So just try to imagine how I felt when I found out she was gonna play on this bill JUST LIKE ME?

And THEN try to imagine how I felt when I found out she used to put on dance routines with her little sister JUST LIKE ME, too!!!!

I really don't know how else to say that she rocks.  She's the epitome of rocking.  She wails.  And when she smiles at you, you might fall over...so maybe make sure someone's standing nearby who'll catch you tomorrow night, eh?

JENNIFER D'ANGORA, THE DOWNBEAT 5

What kind of "shows" did you put on as a kid?  Any favorites?
When I was about 10 years old, I would write songs and work out dance routines with my younger sister, Beka, and our best friend. I actually sent a jingle to Chips Ahoy that I wrote, and Beka and I can still remember the song. It was a foreshadowing, because now Beka sings and dances with me in my other band, Jenny Dee & the Deelinquents.

If you had to choose another genre of music to learn/perform, what would it be?
When I worked at Rounder, I became a fan of Hazel Dickens and old timey music. I'd love to try my hand at that raw, Appalachian style.



What is the strangest thing you've found yourself doing since being in a band?
Searching for normal, non-band clothes to wear!







(Do NOT MISS The Downbeat 5's set at midnight Saturday.)

(And after that, you better stick around for the surprise ending, which may or may not involve one or more of the ladies you've read about this week... and maybe even another surprise guest or two!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment